Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill in Detroit Bill in Detroit is offline

Default Peppermill advice requested....

Eddie Munster wrote:

What do the experienced people use/do? And do you dril them out first
and turn them, or drill after????

John

John,
I haven't made that kit (yet) but I think that if you nose around a bit
you'll find Forstner bits and spade bits in that diameter.

There should be turning directions and a suggested tooling list with the
kit parts. If not, take a look at the PennState website or wherever the
kit actually came from for the sequence of operations.

Ordinarily, I would expect to drill first as:
1) that gives you someplace to put the chuck jaws,
2) if you are chucked on the inside diameter and then turn the outside,
the hole and the exterior are automatically concentric and (drum roll,
please)
3) if you are ever going to split a gorgeous piece of walnut into two
smaller pieces of whittling wood, it would save you a lot of work if you
just went ahead and got it over with. ;-)

Cuts down on the disappointment level, too. Like having a woman tell you
BEFORE the wedding that she doesn't love you and isn't interested in
trying rather than waiting until after the second child is born and you
have a mortgage to carry.

Bill

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0663-0, 12/27/2006
Tested on: 12/27/2006 1:52:36 PM