Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Questions regarding 240v outlet

In article , Chris Friesen wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Chris Friesen

wrote:

Or change it to a split-wired duplex receptacle.

You'd still have to change the breaker to the appropriate amperage though.

Nonsense.

Breakers are sized to the conductor. The ampacity of a conductor does not
depend on voltage. A 20A circuit requires 12ga wire, for example, regardless
of whether it's a 240V or 120V circuit.

You sure about that?

Absolutely.

My reading of tables 210.21(B)(2), 210.21(B)(3) and 210.24 is that when
using a given receptacle, there are limits as to the breaker amperage,
regardless of wire size.

That doesn't have anything at all to do with voltage, though -- and you
appeared to be saying that changing from 240V to 120V would require changing
the breaker to a different amperage as well, which is not the case.

For instance, you cannot put a 15A receptacle on a 30A or higher
circuit, and you can only put one on a 20A circuit if it is a duplex
receptacle or there are other receptacles on the same circuit.

Right, but that's not the same issue. I think we're talking about two
different things.

--
Regards,