Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lennox heat pump

I have a lennox heat pump and heater unit all electric. A couple of
days ago i noticed the indoor unit was making a humming sound. i turned
down the thermostat and it stopped when the compressor stopped. I
checked the filters and they were dirty but not clogged but I replaced
them. just to be on the safe side i backed off the thermostat to get
through the holiday. If i let the house cool down to about 65 i can
turn the unit on and set the thermostat for 75. the aux heat comes on
and will heat to about 70 and the it drops off and the heat pump kicks
in.

Not an expert on heat pumps, but this doesn't sound right. Isn't the
aux heat supposed to work together with the heat pump, assuming the
outside temp isn;t too low? I don't think this is the real problem,
but it could be a thermostat settup issue that is costing you money by
relying more on aux heat than necessary.

it still heats but after a few minuets the fan stops and the indoor
unit just humms. once the compressor shuts off it stops . after a few
min the unit will come back on and the whole procession starts over.
the fan works fine with aux heat but after a few on the heat pump the
humming starts. Please help

Can you identify what exactly is humming? And is the heat pump
providing heat, (without aux heat) or is it not working and just
humming?