Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default replacing quad circuit breaker

In article . com, wrote:
Hi doug,

Thanks for your post. I would like to try ace hardware, but
unfortunately they closed their store down in the local area about 4
months ago.

Yeah, I know how that goes -- we've lost several around here too in recent
years. Fortunately, I live in a large enough city [Indianapolis] that we still
have others not too far away.

This particular breaker does seem very hard to find as I checked out a
lot of other places and they didn't have it.

[...]
Is there a Menards store near you? They often sell some less-common electrical
items that you'll never, ever find at Lowe's or Home Depot, and it would be
worth a look.

What about other hardware stores, like Tru-Value or Do-It-Best, or an
independent "mom-and-pop" shop?

Certainly *any* electrical supply house can get one for you -- just bring in
the old one, and tell them you want another one just like it.

The new breaker that I purchased at Lowe's is also a 20-30-30-20 but
the two 20 switches are not bracketed together (so that, when one
trips, the other is dragged down to trip as well) as it is on the
orginal breaker.

That's necessary for safety.

I suppose I will just have to order this online if this breaker that I
purchased truly won't work at all. I could attempt to install this
one I picked up today, and maybe take the old bracket off the original
breaker and hook it on the 20 amp switches, but I suppose this won't
work anyway, as I've read from your post, Doug.

Well, *if* the handle tie can be removed from the old breaker without damaging
it *and* installed on the new one (it might fit, it might not) *and* it's
tight enough that both of the breakers shut off when only one of them trips,
then it would work. It won't meet Code, since the breaker isn't listed for
that use, so I'm not advising you to do that. Just pointing out that it will
work.

The breaker that you alluded to from Ace, how much does this normally
cost?

I think I paid about twenty bucks, but I don't remember for sure -- it's been
a few years.

I may just have to order one from their online site.

Before you do that, take a look at this:

It's the first thing that came up when I did a search on eBay for "quad
breaker". Looks like almost exactly what you need -- a Murray breaker should
be compatible with a Bryant box, or any box that a Bryant breaker fit into.
Again, that's technically a Code violation, since it wasn't listed for that
use, but if it fits it will work; use your own judgement.

If you
have an old one you'd like to sell, let me know how much you'd want for
it, and we can talk about that over email.

Sorry about that, but I'm using the ones I have.

--
Regards,