Posted to alt.home.repair
just me again just me again is offline

Default Hardwood floor direction

hardwood flooring should be laid perpendicular to joists
otherwise when you sand and re-finish it, your floor will be wavy.
especially if you decide to re-sand it in the future

diagonal flooring would require joists to be 12" on center.

"dpb" wrote in message
ps.com...

brent wrote:
I am installing 3 1/4 hardwood strip flooring in my living room/dining
room.The room is a rectangle with the long dimension running from the
front of the room to the back of the room.My instincts tell me to lay
the flooring paralell to the long dimension but the floor joists also
run this way. There is 5/8 plywood ontop of the floor joists.Is this
enough support to run the hardwood paralell to the floor
joists?Also--what esthetic affect does it create to run the flooring
paralell to the short dimension? I am having a hard time visualizing
what it will look like if I install the floor this way.
Thankyou

Everything you need to know from the source...

https://www.nofma.org/Portals/0/Publ...d%20Floors.pdf