Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin John Grossbohlin is offline

Default Rip sawing photographic misadventures

"Ben Bullock" wrote in message

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
news

"Ben Bullock" wrote in message
I'm trying to learn rip sawing with a hand saw. I took a few photos, and
I'd appreciate any input.

http://flickr.com/photos/bnz/sets/72157594441220214/

I don't understand the "most efficient cutting angle" shown at all. From
my own experience, reading, and watching a proficient Japanese woodworker
rip a large thick board, I believe you would be better off laying the
blade about 90 degrees in the other direction.

After reading your message, I tried another test cut using the flat angle
you suggest and the angle I "discovered". I'm sure I'm doing something
stupid, but when I put it at the flatter angle and pull towards me, I keep
getting a kind of juddering as if the saw is popping up and not cutting
very well, and the cut is much slower and more difficult. When I put it at
the angle I showed in the picture and pull from behind the direction of
cut, it seems to glide through the wood very easily. The other respondent,
RicodJour, suggested that using the tools from the bottom is best, which
kind of squares with that experience, doesn't it?

I think this is one of those things that would be real easy to demonstrate
but difficult to describe (especially late at night)! I think Charlie B's
pictures do a much better job... wish I'd had them to show. Note too that
they show the blade laid down in the cut which puts more of the saw in the
kerf which helps you saw straight.

John