Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden raden is offline

Default Wicks 40 (Horstman?) Boiler failure

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-12-27 09:30:31 +0000, "Vass" said:

My aging Wicks 40 Boiler has stopped working
It started rumbling, then it cut out the flame
I think its overheating, so now when hot, the pilot will not light
And when I di get it lit, and start the boiler after its warmed up
the boiler cuts the flame (saftey feature I guess)
Am I right in thinking the probe thingy stick in the side on a
coiled copper looking wire/pipe
has failed and needs replacing? is this called the thermostat or
thermocouple?
Can anyone tell me the real make of my boiler? its says Wicks 40 and
thats it.
Just a boiler stick on the wall, flames below a tank with exhaust tot
he outside and a large square
plate out side on the wall. OR where can I look for model number info
on the boiler?
Plus, anyone know a place I can get the part today? Portsmouth area
UK
Thanks in advance

The thermocouple to which you refer is a flame failure device designed
to turn off the gas in the event
of the pilot failing to light or remain alight.

If the boiler is overheating, the reason for that needs to be investigated.

The thermostat turns off the main burner when the water is hot enough,
but shouldn't turn off the pilot.

It would be safer (and legal) to call in a heating engineer to fix it.

If it's the Halstead Wickes boiler I think it is, then it has a sequence
board (600503?) - so no thermocouple

Sounds like it's a circulation problem

OP - is your pump working?

--