Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tysteel3000@aol.com is offline

Default replacing quad circuit breaker

Doug Miller wrote:
In article .com, wrote:
Hi everyone,

I opened up the box and checked out the wiring and noticed that the
wires leading from the hot water heater to the circuit breaker are 12
gauge.

I was checking around today at more places for a suitable quad breaker
replacement. The closest match to my 30amp/20 amp original breaker
was a circuit breaker I found at Lowe's, but I'm not entirely sure if
what I found will work.

It won't.

On the breaker, it's described as a "trip-plex". In the middle of the
breaker, there are two 30 amp switches, bracketed together.

On the outside there are two 20 amp switches, but they aren't bracketed
together. On the original circuit breaker I have, the two 20's are
bracketed together.

You did NOT get the right one. You NEED a breaker that has two 240V circuits.
What you bought has one 240V circuit and two 120V circuits.

Did you look at Ace Hardware like I suggested? It's a regular stock item at
the Ace stores here in Indianapolis, or at least it was about two, three years
ago when I last needed one.

If you're having trouble finding one, email me -- I can send you one.

Have you tried eBay??

--
Regards,

Hi doug,

Thanks for your post. I would like to try ace hardware, but
unfortunately they closed their store down in the local area about 4
months ago.

This particular breaker does seem very hard to find as I checked out a
lot of other places and they didn't have it. The original breaker,
which was a Bryant, was a 20-30-30-20 breaker that is connected to the
hot water (20 amp) and the dryer. Unfortunately, the info labeling on
the breaker that contained the part number and voltages is faded out.

The new breaker that I purchased at Lowe's is also a 20-30-30-20 but
the two 20 switches are not bracketed together (so that, when one
trips, the other is dragged down to trip as well) as it is on the
orginal breaker.

I suppose I will just have to order this online if this breaker that I
purchased truly won't work at all. I could attempt to install this
one I picked up today, and maybe take the old bracket off the original
breaker and hook it on the 20 amp switches, but I suppose this won't
work anyway, as I've read from your post, Doug.

The breaker that you alluded to from Ace, how much does this normally
cost? I may just have to order one from their online site. If you
have an old one you'd like to sell, let me know how much you'd want for
it, and we can talk about that over email. My current email is at:'

thanks for the info.