Posted to sci.electronics.repair
T Shadow T Shadow is offline

Default how does a cell phone detect a "genuine" battery

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 15:26:45 -0500, "T Shadow"
wrote:

Any chance these batteries will become the electronic version of Jarts?

Maybe. I'm sure the safety advocates will try to ban LiIon batteries
in trade for some concessions on other items under contention. Quid
Pro Quo and all that. Incidentally, lawn darts really were a hazard.
I dropped one from about a 60ft tower and punched a neat hole in the
top of my toolbox (oops).

This Old House showed a 36volt 7-1/4" circular saw last week.

It's not just the saw. There's also a hammer/drill/driver combo,
light, and Skilsaw clone.
http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=15003
Also a bigger hammer drill:
http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=14998
and impact wrench:
http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=14962

When I tried to think of something that had been banned to compare it to,
Jarts was the second thing that came to mind. I agree about them.

One of the benefits of the new batteries besides power is reduced weight.
Just thought with the problems they've had with the smaller batteries how
big a problem would one this size be. Luckily few would carry it on their
person.

I love cordless tools and hope they get it worked out. Bought into a
19.2volt system last year. At my age its unlikely I'll ever go to another
system especially at those prices.