Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Rip sawing photographic misadventures

Ben Bullock wrote:
I'm trying to learn rip sawing with a hand saw. I took a few photos, and I'd
appreciate any input.

http://flickr.com/photos/bnz/sets/72157594441220214/

There's one picture where it looks like you're cutting with the handle
above or below the workpiece. That's standard with western saws, but
I've found that my results are the best when I cut with the Japanese
tools from the bottom. That requires more crouching and may be more
difficult with a light bench that needs your body weight like your
Workmate. An alternative would be to clamp the workpiece vertically in
the Workmate with about six or eight inches exposed and rip downwards.
That would require more repositioning, but the goal is accuracy over
speed, right? It will also allow you to more easily see both sides of
the workpiece to make sure you're staying on course.