Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Hardwood floor direction

HeyBub wrote:
dpb wrote:
As for the aesthetics, you can judge that by laying some out loose to
see what you think. It certainly is in general true that stip
flooring is laid "long ways" in a room. As much as anything, it
eases/speeds the installation by minimizing cuts/fitting at ends.
The more rectangular the area, the more it makes a difference in that
regard, obviously.

You lay the floor once, but look at it for decades. Which direction looks
better: floor aligned with the room's long axis or the room's short axis?

In general, aligned with the long axis is the way flooring is laid and,
therefore, it was what has become familiar and, therefore, "better".
I've seen rooms that owing to other considerations were laid
"short-ways" that looked perfectly natural that way. All I am/was
suggesting is OP look at his room and decide--and, if he's uncertain,
try laying some out and see. But, the "safe" way is to stay w/
convention, certainly.