Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Running a radio without speakers

wrote:

I had an old amp that would spark across the spark gap with no load
connected. But whats the mechanism for that? No load cant take any Vs
higher than normal run voltage, unless theres some kind of LC thing
going on in the op tf, and no load means no damping.

Have you ever seen the output tubes arc over internally when there is
no load? The spikes exceed the maximum plate voltage, and you have
major problems. it an trip the power supply, damage the tubes, or cause
a complete meltdown of the tubes. Its quite a sight when a broadcast
transmitter loses its load, and the plate relays don't trip out.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida