Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Good sources of info for "low-energy" building and maintenancework?

wrote:
Clive wrote:

Now, while I am having work done (by "professionals" (hopefully))
for CH and loft I would like to incorporate as many energy-saving /
energy-generation mechanisms as possible.

I will check all the obvious like quality of insulation and
eliminating damp. However, I would like to find which other "eco"
techniques are effective and have a pay-back of say 10 years or less. I
have thought of the obvious such as some kind of solar panel to
pre-heat water, ground heat collection, water butts, wind generator.
Are there any good Web sites that give "long-term" analyses of these
techniques such as cost of installation and maintenance, effectiveness,
usefulness in SE UK (e.g the amount of "collectible" power form the
wind), reliability etc. etc. ?

Thanks

Clive

To kick off...

insulation insulation insulation
solar hw can pay back but too often doesnt.
solar warm air can give good ROI
underground pipes can give a nice return as an ac substitute
solar pv forget it

PV?

I DO know that a fine winters day with the curtains drawn back seems to
add about an extra 500W of heating to a biggish room.

windgens in inhabited areas forget it
shower drain heat exchanger can pay back well

Not heard of that..intersting and I suspect valid.

passive cooling avoids much ac

Add into that HUGE masses of masonery or stone inside the
insulation..yes it takes longer to warm in winter, but boy it holds the
temps down in summer!

Ideal if in teh house all day as opposed to out at work.

Also add overhanging eaves to reduce solar gains in summer.

Also add trees - natures own air conditioners.

deciduous climber on house walls producng fruit gives summer colling &
food, but must be kept off the roof. High ROI.
CFLs god ROI

But overall small impact on everything. Lighting in winter adds a useful
bit of heat, and lighting is nowhere near as huge a bill as house
heating is.

NT