Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Deke Deke is offline

Default how does a cell phone detect a "genuine" battery

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message
Dan Lenski wrote:
Ken Weitzel wrote:
Hi Dan...

It's for your own protection, I'd recommend not trying to defeat it.

Take care, and happy holidays.

Ken

Thanks Ken, but I don't need any protection :-) I have a long history
of doing things with my electronics that they were never meant to do,
and it's worked well for me.

It's ridiculous that a cell phone demands a particular brand of
battery, considering that essentially all cell phones use 3.7V LiIon
batteries which differ only in capacity and shape. Plus I don't really
care about protecting the phone, since I only want to use it as a
charger for this battery.

I'm wondering if the "genuine battery detection" is something trivial
like "connect a 100k resistor between the mystery contact and ground"
or something complicated involving a microcontroller in the battery
that uses some serial protocol to communicate a message back and forth.

Hi Dan...

Not so sure that we don't need a bit of protection... thinking of the
exploding and burning batteries in laptops recently

(snip) the rest...

Those burning laptop batteries were made by Sony.
Sony is a four letter word.