Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Xmas follies was Time to break out the assault rifle!

Nate Nagel wrote:
Eigenvector wrote:

I continue to be depressed and angered by the "quality" electrical
work done on this house.

The outlet that I was working on because it stuck out from the wall,
uncovered even more quality work. Here, I'll showcase it below.

Who need's an outlet box?
http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/PC250079.JPG

Oh, there is one in there. What quality construction. Mind you this
is ORIGINAL work - as in the contractor did this.
http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/PC250080.JPG

Wonderful, stablock components to top it off!
http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/PC250081.JPG

I removed it and wirenutted the circuit closed until I can fix it.
Preferably after the Christmas vacation. By the way, ALL the outlets
in my house are on a single 15A circuit - that's nice to know.

I have a long long battle ahead of me. Update the panel to 200A
service, once I get a larger panel, re-wire house separating the
circuits out, re-wire the oven circuit, re-wire the dryer circuit,
re-wire the.....

Sounds like what I spent today doing. The girlie was a good sport about
playing fish tape operator on Christmas day; I separated one circuit
into three - clothes washer, hall lights, and one recep. in the kitchen
- I left the washer on the orig. although I will rewire with romex and a
GFCI later, put the hall lights on a 15A breaker (I figured since it
appeared to be 14AWG that that would be appropriate) and put the recep
in the kitchen on its own 20A breaker since the microwave is plugged
into that one.

Now I'm all fired up to hang the new ceiling fan in the kitchen... yeah
it's kinda sick but hey, whaddayagonnado. Oh, and I need to run a
circuit for the range; it's now running off an extension cord until I
can run a circuit for that too. (yes, it's gas, don't worry.)

nate

Update: I got all three circuits hooked back up and working correctly.
Ceiling fan is hung and works, even wired up a wall control for it (I
have an aversion to pull chains for some reason.) Only casualty is that
the tip of my ring finger is purply blue because my aim was not so good
trying to drive in a cable staple at an odd angle... oops...

Merry Christmas. Believe it or not it feels damn good to be working on
my own home. 1st xmas ever doing that.

Now I just got to run a circuit for the range before the girlie gets
PO'd at the ghettofabulous extension cord...

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel