Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default Lightening characteristics (was Solder?)

Roger Grady wrote:

"The Other Funk" wrote:

I haen't see a great deal of lightning protected buildings but I know that I
have seen heavy gauge soild wire used.
Also, I think, not know, that lightning wol be considered DC.

Lightening is definitely AC, with frequency components up into the
hundreds of megahertz.

snip

It's a pulse. It only exhibits one polarity during its duration.
Whether you characterize that as DC or AC is largely irrelevant.

If you call it AC, then you can easily get AC from a dry cell, and
there is probably no such thing as DC -- everything we normally
consider DC varies to some degree, if only off/on.

If you call it DC, then you'll have trouble when you find you need to
apply AC analysis tools to its propagation.

So it's probably best to just call it a pulse and let it go at that.