Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken Weitzel Ken Weitzel is offline

Default how does a cell phone detect a "genuine" battery

Dan Lenski wrote:
Ken Weitzel wrote:
Hi Dan...

It's for your own protection, I'd recommend not trying to defeat it.

Take care, and happy holidays.

Ken

Thanks Ken, but I don't need any protection :-) I have a long history
of doing things with my electronics that they were never meant to do,
and it's worked well for me.

It's ridiculous that a cell phone demands a particular brand of
battery, considering that essentially all cell phones use 3.7V LiIon
batteries which differ only in capacity and shape. Plus I don't really
care about protecting the phone, since I only want to use it as a
charger for this battery.

I'm wondering if the "genuine battery detection" is something trivial
like "connect a 100k resistor between the mystery contact and ground"
or something complicated involving a microcontroller in the battery
that uses some serial protocol to communicate a message back and forth.

Hi Dan...

Not so sure that we don't need a bit of protection... thinking of the
exploding and burning batteries in laptops recently... third party
and counterfeit batteries are out there, and it won't be long before
making them with small capacity and mis-marking them, so...

Anyway, I have no idea, other than guesses. Jamie suggest that it might
be a serial connection to the phone. That sounds good, if LG doesn't
want you to buy any of their competitors products, but might be
expensive to implement.

I'm wondering if it might not be as simple as a temperature detector...
something as easy as a pair of diodes back to back. Or maybe even a
thermal fuse.

Another thought is if someone here has a battery that's dead beyond
any use at all, perhaps they'd open it up and see what's in there?

Wish I knew more.

Take care.

Ken