Posted to rec.woodworking
James \Cubby\ Culbertson James \Cubby\ Culbertson is offline

Default Satisfied customer: Steve Wall Lumber

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

Just received my second order from Steve Wall Lumber this Tuesday -- 100
BF of 8/4 Cherry. Dealing with these folks has been a pleasure, they
respond promptly and the quality of the wood was better than I could have
obtained locally. Only problem is that shipping is a bear: added 1.34/BF
to the cost of the lumber. However, even with shipping, the cost of the
lumber was actually less than I would have had to pay locally and the
quality was way better.

My first order was 5/4 poplar back in July just to check out the service
and quality. The first order did not disappoint, so I felt confident
placing an order for the more expensive lumber.

They may become my supplier of choice; even with shipping they are
competitive and the quality is way better than what I can get locally.

I may have to give them a try. I've got 3 suppliers in Albuquerque. One
of them is very high priced (I think their 4/4 Cherry was $9.44/bf when I
was there last week and it was all crap). The other one is really hit or
miss on whether or not they have anything decent (price is around $6.71/bf
for 4/4 Cherry). The third is reasonably priced and has some decent stuff,
if you can get to it. They have a rule there that you can only pick boards
from the top 3 layers. They explained it to me that because everything in
the pile is considered select, there is no reason to have to dig deeper. I
called bull****. Then they started on this "well we don't want a pile of
junk after everyone has picked it over". I politely told the gentleman to
call me when he changes his ridiculous policy and left without filling my
100 bf order.
Cheers,
cc