Posted to alt.home.repair
clifto clifto is offline

Default Whole house surge suppressor -- Tytewadd??

w_tom wrote:
clifto wrote:
Why do they suggest not daisy-chaining suppressor power strips?

Will a power strip protector somehow stops or block what three miles
of sky could not? That is not what a power strip protector does. And
yet that is why some daisy chain power strip protectors on a myth that
more will create a chain of protection - stop or block a surge.

Meanwhile, every power strip must have a 15 amp circuit breaker so
that excessive load does not concentrate on one power strip. Fires
have killed because power strips were daisy chained when, instead, the
solution was sufficient number of wall receptacles.

Okay. I always count total wattage/current before plugging stuff in,
even on a standard wall outlet. Main reason I like to daisy-chain surge
protectors is that the one closest to the outlet takes most of the small
hits and wears out the fastest, protecting the others so they can (1) stay
in use when I replace the closest one and (2) help a little on a somewhat-
more-than-small hit.

--
Asking Iran and Syria to help us succeed in Iraq is like your local fire
department asking a couple of arsonists to help put out the fire.