Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default From switched receptacle to light question

You really need to get a real tester. With the switch off, the hot should be
dead

"Native" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

First, thanks to everyone who helped with my arc/short question. I have
a pretty good idea of what happen now, but still am going to have an
electrician come out next week and will post the conclusion.

New question. I had a switch that controlled power to a receptacle, so
a lamp or something could be plugged into it and controlled by the
switch.

One of the walls in the room was opened and the guys created a fixture
for a ceiling fan based off the switch that once controlled the wall
receptacle.

My question is the switch that controls the power to the ceiling
fixture has a white and a black wire running to it (I think that's ok,
right?), but does that explain why there is power always to the ceiling
fixture?

If the switch is off and I take a neon-tester to the black and white
wires the light barely goes on. If I turn the switch on and touch the
wires, the light on the tester lights up very bright (as if I stuck
both probes into a hot receptacle).

Does this sound OK?