Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Charles Schuler Charles Schuler is offline

Default motor start capacitor

"Dan Lenski" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi all,
I'm home for the holidays and I was trying to quiet a noisy garage door
opener by greasing the pivots and mechanical parts of the motor. Well,
unfortunately, it looks like I got a bit of grease on the motor as
well. When I turned it on after greasing it, there was a quick puff of
black smoke... after which everything worked just fine for an hour or
two. Then it stopped working and I found that a big huge capacitor had
blown open and leaked a bunch of oily goo.

This is a big "AeroM PSU6430" 64 microF 330VAC capacitor with
spade-type terminals.

I believe nothing else is wrong with the door opener, since the light
comes on and I hear a relay click when I push the button, and the hum
of a transformer, but the motor simply doesn't start.

Does anyone have an idea where I can buy a replacement for such a
capacitor? I couldn't find a clearly compatible part at Digikey, and
local electronics and hardware places have been no help.

Was that graphite grease? How much did you get on the motor/electrical
contacts? Seems a bit strange!