Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default Generac 7500

In article . com,
wrote:

I removed the brushes and seated them properly, it seems they were
already seated OK. Changed the wires to the brushes opposite to how
they were hooked up, got 0 voltage. Reversed them and I get 65vac @
the 120 outlets and 120vac @ the 240 outlet. There's nobody local, but
I'm gonna try the closest to me, about 50 miles away that supposedly
works on generators. Otherwise this unit will be on sale on E-bay as is
to the highest bidder.

Ellombris-

It can be frustrating. If the System Control Board (where voltage is
adjusted) happens to be bad, they cost around $200 to replace. Unless
you had one to try, you can't be sure the old one is bad!

You might measure the DC voltage across the brushes when it is putting
out 65 VAC, to get an idea how it is performing. You might also
reconnect the brushes to an external DC power supply, and see what
voltage it takes to get the proper output.

Of course this information would only be of value if you knew what to
compare it with, but you could verify that the alternator is capable of
putting out full voltage.

Applying a load and measuring voltage change would give you an idea of
regulation. If it falls from half value to zero, the problem is worse
than if it only drops ten percent!

Fred