Jeff Wisnia

Default A new low in cheap tools?

Mickey Feldman wrote:
snipped

So finally the other day I need to drill some nice soft plastic, got
'em out, chucked up the bit I needed. Hmm. Must have chucked it
off-center. Seems to be wobbling. Rechucked, paying attention this
time. Hmmm? Still wobbling. Took it out. Rolled it on the drill press
table. BENT! Straight (if I may use the word) from the factory! Argh!

Maybe he can use those drills to fix the cast iron clamps Hylouros
posted about here last month. G

He said:

************************************************** ************************

Hi all,

I recently picked up three large (7") cast iron 3/4" pipe clamps for a
buck each. Second hand, but never used, and I think I know why now:
the two holes on the threaded side of the clamp don't match up very
well. See a pic of the clamp at:

snipped

Anyway, I'm thinking that the only way to salvage these is to bore out
one side of the non-threaded hole until it is parallel with the
threaded hole--removing about 1/4" of material by my estimation. The
hole is 1" dia., 3" deep, cast iron.

Jeff (Celebrating his 68th birthday today!)

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)