Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Homer J Simpson Homer J Simpson is offline

Default motor start capacitor

"Dan Lenski" wrote in message
ps.com...

I'm home for the holidays and I was trying to quiet a noisy garage door
opener by greasing the pivots and mechanical parts of the motor. Well,
unfortunately, it looks like I got a bit of grease on the motor as
well. When I turned it on after greasing it, there was a quick puff of
black smoke... after which everything worked just fine for an hour or
two. Then it stopped working and I found that a big huge capacitor had
blown open and leaked a bunch of oily goo.

Coincidence. It wasn't the grease.