Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Kitchen Cabinet depth

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
51 wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message k...
51 wrote:
Hi all.
How much can the depth of a kitchen base cabinet be
reduced by? I have B & Q cabinets.
As much as you want really, as long as you leave enough room for the
hinges.

Tell us more?

I'm trying to make enough room for cokker, washer and dishwasher between
kitchen sink side and opposite side. If I can pinch 50-60mm from the
side opposite the sink I will get a full size dishwasher in.

Arthur

Go for it. Only problem is that the backs won't fit. They are generally
in by about 50mm..however they aren't a lot of good anyway..you can
simply tack them on the back of your 'new' units and space away from the
wall.

You WILL lose initial rigidity if you go further than the strap across
the back as well. (sounds like a S&M instruction leaflet dunnit?)

I've done half depth runs before now. Helps to have a circular saw/
batten set up, especially for the worktop.
You may lose the rear fixing on the carcass, and those things are not
that easy to re-position