Roy

Default A new low in cheap tools?

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 05:32:44 GMT, Mickey Feldman
wrote:

===Really, I don't usually buy cheap tools. I appreciate high quality,
===and if I can remotely justify it to myself ("well, I just might use
===this a second time within the next decade... certainly within the next
===two..."), I'll spring the extra bucks and get the better version.
===
===However.... part of me is a sucker for an apparent bargain and every
===now and then I do get something cheap, although usually with my eyes
===open. So it was last summer when House Of Tools (here in Canada, don't
===know if they're in the States) had a drill index with 1/16in to 1/2in
===drill bits in 64ths for some silly low price – don't even remember
===what – 5 bucks? 10? Anyway, they were sharp, I figured how bad can
===they be? Maybe the steel is junk and they'll lose their edge
===immediately – I'll just reserve 'em for drilling plastic, balsa, stuff
===like that, right?
===
===So finally the other day I need to drill some nice soft plastic, got
==='em out, chucked up the bit I needed. Hmm. Must have chucked it
===off-center. Seems to be wobbling. Rechucked, paying attention this
===time. Hmmm? Still wobbling. Took it out. Rolled it on the drill press
===table. BENT! Straight (if I may use the word) from the factory! Argh!
===Sheesh. Ya can't trust anybody anymore. I expect cheap stuff to wear
===out in no time, but I imagine I'd get at least one gentle use out of
===it before it died. Maybe some of the rest of the set is usable.
===
===Oh, well. Cheap lesson? At least it wasn't a $4K lathe.
===
===Mickey
===

I bought a set of letter drills on ebay one time for a total of $4.00
and some change. I accepted right from the start they would probably
be junk..............but I had that urge for a hopefull bargain. I was
totally wrong. They seem to be very good drill bits and I have yet to
have one problem out of any of them. They hold an edge fine and mic
out to ther proper sizes. Now I wished I bought another set or two, as
these were listed in a dutch type auction. Every now and then you
stumble on a great deal, rare but still a possibility.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.