Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default coffee maker clock - poor handling of transients?

George E. Cawthon wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

Weird... My old coffee maker died a couple weeks ago, so I gave the
girlie a few bucks and the direction that while she was out, to pick
up a new coffee maker. She returned with a new Mr. Coffee, replete
with analog/digital clock. It worked OK for a few days and then
started going haywire - the clock would be hours off by morning, or it
would lock up completely. In any case, I didn't have my morning
coffee and the only "fix" was to unplug it for an hour or two and try
again.

Well, last week I installed a whole-house TVSS in my breaker panel
(Siemens QSA2020TVSS to be exact) and I just realized this AM that the
coffee maker has been working perfectly ever since. Is it possible
that I just had "dirty" power and that all my other appliances were
handling it correctly so I never noticed? Anyway, it seems like too
much of a coincidence as before installing the TVSS the coffeemaker
would more often than not not make it through a full day without
locking up.

nate

Don't know the answer, but I do know how to eliminate the problem. Get
a coffee pot without a clock. If you just have to have a cup of coffee
ready for you when you get to the office. Get two pots, a regular one
and a little 4 cup one (they actually hold 2 cups (the two will be
cheaper than one with a clock). If you can't stand waiting 5 minutes
for the little one to provide a cup, get therapy.

I hear ya... the problem is that this one will not brew AT ALL when the
clock ceases to function... and no, I can't wait a couple hours for the
darn thing to decide to work before my first cup in the AM.

Is there even such a thing made anymore? A coffee maker with just a
switch and a heating element?

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.