Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default coffee maker clock - poor handling of transients?

Nate Nagel wrote:
Weird... My old coffee maker died a couple weeks ago, so I gave the
girlie a few bucks and the direction that while she was out, to pick up
a new coffee maker. She returned with a new Mr. Coffee, replete with
analog/digital clock. It worked OK for a few days and then started
going haywire - the clock would be hours off by morning, or it would
lock up completely. In any case, I didn't have my morning coffee and
the only "fix" was to unplug it for an hour or two and try again.

Well, last week I installed a whole-house TVSS in my breaker panel
(Siemens QSA2020TVSS to be exact) and I just realized this AM that the
coffee maker has been working perfectly ever since. Is it possible that
I just had "dirty" power and that all my other appliances were handling
it correctly so I never noticed? Anyway, it seems like too much of a
coincidence as before installing the TVSS the coffeemaker would more
often than not not make it through a full day without locking up.

nate

Don't know the answer, but I do know how to
eliminate the problem. Get a coffee pot without a
clock. If you just have to have a cup of coffee
ready for you when you get to the office. Get two
pots, a regular one and a little 4 cup one (they
actually hold 2 cups (the two will be cheaper than
one with a clock). If you can't stand waiting 5
minutes for the little one to provide a cup, get
therapy.