Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default Iron Reducing Bacteria

wrote:

We have discovered that we have Iron reducing bacteria in our new well.
We have been living in our new house for about 5 months and always had
a funny smell in the cold water. A test from a lab confirmed that it
was iron reducing bacteria and in high concentration 3+ out of 5.

From what I've read on google this is very bad. We did bleach our well

already and that lasted 2 days and the smell came back.

My understanding is that the bacteria are not
a significant health hazard, but the slime and odor
they produce are certainly an annoyance.

I tried shocking the well several times and almost
succeeded in blocking the (submers) pump inlet(!)
with their goop.

Experimenting, I found that adding bleach directly
to the water after it entered the house piping
eliminated both odor and slime.

Next step was to build a homemade chemical injection
system. I bought a (used) precision lab pump made
for these applications and piped it into my well pump
bladder tank. The feed pump is supplied with dilute bleach
and runs for a brief period when the well pump starts up
each cycle.

This system has worked flawlessly for the last 5 years.

Jim