Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default Iron Reducing Bacteria

"C & E" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
We have discovered that we have Iron reducing bacteria in our new well.
We have been living in our new house for about 5 months and always had
a funny smell in the cold water. A test from a lab confirmed that it
was iron reducing bacteria and in high concentration 3+ out of 5.

From what I've read on google this is very bad. We did bleach our well

already and that lasted 2 days and the smell came back. We called
Culligan and they stated that the problem could be very serious as the
smell came back so quick after bleaching.

My understanding is that IRB (Iron reducing bacteria) can render a well
system useless very quickly.

Can anyone suggest a course of action to deal with this. The builder
says that its not his problem.

Thanks.

I'd get in touch with the health authorities about the potential health
risks and what, if any, responsibilities are those of the builder.

There are no health problems; the water just tastes lousy.
I have the same problem. A carbon filter lasts a couple days.
The only real fix is pretty expensive. I have stopped noticing it, but my
wife hasn't.