Posted to alt.home.repair
JA JA is offline

Default How to cut through hard cut nails?

"Oren" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 17:33:15 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 16:38:03 -0500, "JA"
wrote:

We're remodelling a basement and need to remove hard cut (masonry)

nails
that are along side a window. There is no way to reach the nails

with a
hammer, so pulling them out or pounding them flush is not an option.

(They
are in the concrete block wall around a window frame and we need to

remove
them to slide sheetrock or paneling into the space.)

Are there saw blades that will cut through them?

If they are cut nails (rectangular in shape) you can hit them from the
sides (back and forth) they will break right off (very easily).

-Lee

I will *always* strike a cut nail in a direction away from me. They
are dangerous; myself having one hit me, bouncing off the block wall
(first aid). One good strike should snap it at the block wall.

I hit one direction, maybe twice if necessary.

--
Oren

"Well, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens, it happens
constantly."

We've already tried the cold chisel and hammer method (while wearing
goggles).
Due to the angle, I guess, it didn't work. Next step will be to try the
other
suggestions posted. There's very little clearance, and we don't want to
remove the window if we can avoid it.