Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Electrical Arc or Short When Testing

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 16:18:13 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

David Martel wrote:
Tex,

If I understand you, you have a single pole switch in your kitchen that
is not connected to the circuit breaker for the kitchen outlets and
repeatedly blows up neon lamp circuit testers. It's time to buy a volt
meter, read the instructions, measure the voltage of each wire to a good
ground, and find the circuit breaker for this switch. Use the main breaker
until you find the breaker for that circuit.
Sorry I'm at a loss as to why a single pole switch would have enough
voltage to blow neon testers. I'd find the breaker at the box and work from
there.

Dave M.

Hmmm,
Some kitchen counter duplex outlets are divided and fed by separate
source. If they are opposite leg, depending on the situation there could
be 240V present. There maybe two breakers involved.
First I'd look at the outlet to see if link between two is missing which
means this is the case.

It doesn't have to. Once side of the outlet could be switched, and on
the same phase (0V between them) as the always-live one. I have seen
such outlets under a sink where the switched side is meant for a
garbage disposal. These may also be found in a living room where the
switched side is meant for lamps.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"