Posted to alt.home.repair
David Martel David Martel is offline

Default Electrical Arc or Short When Testing

Tex,

If I understand you, you have a single pole switch in your kitchen that
is not connected to the circuit breaker for the kitchen outlets and
repeatedly blows up neon lamp circuit testers. It's time to buy a volt
meter, read the instructions, measure the voltage of each wire to a good
ground, and find the circuit breaker for this switch. Use the main breaker
until you find the breaker for that circuit.
Sorry I'm at a loss as to why a single pole switch would have enough
voltage to blow neon testers. I'd find the breaker at the box and work from
there.

Dave M.