Posted to free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair
monrae fordi monrae  fordi is offline

Default Gaps in floorboards & carpet & felt underlay

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"monrae fordi" wrote in message
We have a small bedroom in a 1936 terraced house in north London. we
have
decided to go for a new fitted carpet with a natural material underlay.
(not
rubber underlay, which we suspect might deteriorate after ten or fifteen
years or so).

The wooden flooring has gaps pretty much all over up to roughly 5 cm
where
the boards have shrunk over the years. with a few places with some
shortish strips up
to 1 cm wide, where the wood has been damaged at some point, probably we
guess before
laying them down.

We thought we would go for the most basic carpet from john Lewis with a
Hessian backing. It's about £20 sq metre. (we know the rubber back
underlay deteriorate because the carpet we pulled up and threw out was
like a mass of decayed bread crumbs underneath). John Lewis's felt
underlay is £4.45 sq metre, their basic carpet is £20 a square metre and
the fitting charge is £4.65 a square metre, since I don't think I could
fit it myself.

Does all this sound a reasonable choice? And what please is it best to
do about the gaps between the floor boards especially the larger ones?
Since I would like to sort out the gaps in my own time before the carpet
actually arrives. Thanks for any advice.

Did you make a typo? CM for MM?

Yep sorry. Should read 5 MM. (christmas sherry)