Mickey Feldman

Default A new low in cheap tools?

Really, I don't usually buy cheap tools. I appreciate high quality,
and if I can remotely justify it to myself ("well, I just might use
this a second time within the next decade... certainly within the next
two..."), I'll spring the extra bucks and get the better version.

However.... part of me is a sucker for an apparent bargain and every
now and then I do get something cheap, although usually with my eyes
open. So it was last summer when House Of Tools (here in Canada, don't
know if they're in the States) had a drill index with 1/16in to 1/2in
drill bits in 64ths for some silly low price – don't even remember
what – 5 bucks? 10? Anyway, they were sharp, I figured how bad can
they be? Maybe the steel is junk and they'll lose their edge
immediately – I'll just reserve 'em for drilling plastic, balsa, stuff
like that, right?

So finally the other day I need to drill some nice soft plastic, got
'em out, chucked up the bit I needed. Hmm. Must have chucked it
off-center. Seems to be wobbling. Rechucked, paying attention this
time. Hmmm? Still wobbling. Took it out. Rolled it on the drill press
table. BENT! Straight (if I may use the word) from the factory! Argh!
Sheesh. Ya can't trust anybody anymore. I expect cheap stuff to wear
out in no time, but I imagine I'd get at least one gentle use out of
it before it died. Maybe some of the rest of the set is usable.

Oh, well. Cheap lesson? At least it wasn't a $4K lathe.

Mickey