Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Any Advice on Building an 8x8 Room Inside a Loft in an Old Factory

On 22 Dec 2006 15:09:34 -0800, wrote:

I want to build an 8x8 room, inside a large room with hardwood floors.
Building the room is OK with landlord. I want to use metal studs, and I
want the room to be a freestanding cube with a floor and a ceiling. I
want to use the ceiling on top of the cube as storage space and a guest
sleeping area, so it needs to support some load.

I've done a bit of construction work before, but one thing I haven't
done much of is framing, and I've never used metal studs. I'm wondering
if I can use metal studs for the base and top sill - will they provide
enough support? Is there any reason NOT to use metal studs, and use
wood instead?

You COULD use load-bearing metal studs, but if you don't already
have the tools and know how to work with the stuff, why would
you want to? You're not going to save that much weight, because
you're only replacing at most 9 2x4s and 36 2x3s.

What's going under the sleeping deck, and how much headroom
is over it?

My other concern si not attaching the room to the existing structure. I
would like it to be a freestanding cube. Does anyone know if there is
any problem with this idea?

Other than it means you have to use diagonal braces and/or
solid sheathing to keep it from rolling, no.

One last question - what is the best way to bolt it to the floor?

I can't think of any particular reason to want to, and the
answer depends on what's the floor is made of.