Posted to alt.home.repair
spam disintegrator spam disintegrator is offline

Default 5500 watt elec hot water heater - 5000 watt generator

yeah, gas fired water heater not an option. i'm not above going
without a shower for a day or two- on the weekend. However, I wear a
shirt and tie during the week. If it's summer time, I sure don't want
to show up for work smelling ripe. And yes, we have a propane camp
stove to heat water and cook with in an emergency in the summer time,
as well as a wood burner and fireplace if it's winter time.

I would just like to have the hot water tank available if we would be
down for a week etc.

anyone heard of the dual power option I mentioned a few posts back from
Sears? Is this typical with any water heater you buy or just Sears?

I called and talked to another person at Sears. She tells me that the
upper element is 3800 watts and the lower is 5500 watt. There is a
"bus bar" that you can convert the lower element to only run at 3800
watts. Of course she promised she would email me a copy of the owner's
manual- 12 hours ago (no email, big surprise).