Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] michaelalcandor@gmail.com is offline

Default Any Advice on Building an 8x8 Room Inside a Loft in an Old Factory

I want to build an 8x8 room, inside a large room with hardwood floors.
Building the room is OK with landlord. I want to use metal studs, and I
want the room to be a freestanding cube with a floor and a ceiling. I
want to use the ceiling on top of the cube as storage space and a guest
sleeping area, so it needs to support some load.

I've done a bit of construction work before, but one thing I haven't
done much of is framing, and I've never used metal studs. I'm wondering
if I can use metal studs for the base and top sill - will they provide
enough support? Is there any reason NOT to use metal studs, and use
wood instead?

My other concern si not attaching the room to the existing structure. I
would like it to be a freestanding cube. Does anyone know if there is
any problem with this idea?

One last question - what is the best way to bolt it to the floor?