Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill in Detroit Bill in Detroit is offline

Default lathe speed for pen turning

William Noble wrote:
if you are worried about that "first catch", leave the nut that tightens the
blanks onto the arbor a bit loose - otherwise, a catch with a pen blank is
pretty non-threatening.

Now, a catch with a 90 pound bowl blank that launches it into the ceiling
and shatters your fluorescent lights and bounces all over the place.... now
that is threatening (don't ask me how I learned that fact) .... interesting
that I haven't had a serious catch in years now - I think there is something
about experience that comes into play......

Yup, every catch I've ever had taught the exact same lesson:

"Don't Do that!"

My most recent catch was near the end of a thin-walled bowl. It
shattered into 3 large, jagged pieces. One of 'em caught my ear as it
went by.

Not too bad, but that was enough of the lathe for a couple of days.

Bill

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0662-0, 12/22/2006
Tested on: 12/22/2006 6:10:39 PM