Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] Dr.Scott.Nicol@googlemail.com is offline

Default Cause of boiler floods?

I've got a recurring problem with my CH. Having just moved into my new
(3 year old) house, I woke up one morning to find a flood in the
kitchen that appeared to be coming from the non-condensing CH boiler.
After consulting a plumber, it appeared to be due to a leak coming from
the pipes at the top of the boiler. This had obviously been happening
for a while and required a new boiler as some corrosion of the case had
occurred (the only part NOT available was the case = new boiler!). Due
to the new rules, I had to get a condensing boiler at some expense...
but was happy that the problem was solved.. except its now happened
again, 3 months later! However, this time its slightly different / I
have a few more details...

- The leak is coming from the bottom of the boiler (dry at the top - no
sign of a leaky pipe)
- It occured whilst the boiler was on
- I've been having problems this week with a bathroom sink (slow
draining) and I think this time the two are related.. there was a
strange gurgling tonight / foul smells from the sink and I came
downstairs and found the flood about an hour later
- Its cold (possibly borderline freezing) / foggy outside but no rain
for the last couple of days - the drainage trap (?) for the bolier is
inside, not outside so little chance of freezing causing the probolem
inside
- I've had torrential rain since the boiler was installed and had not
problems with flooding

Is this a common problem? The boiler is working and now seems dry but
I'd rather get it checked out rather than face another 2K bill.. but
who do I call - the boiler man or the drains man or both? Bear in mind
its 2 days to xmas....

Any thoughts?
S.