Alan Raisanen

Default Need advice on lathe purchase.

Well, it's sort of an old one. 1937 is what it claims on the plate. Ugly
green. Round gearbox selector plate. Hydraulic variable drive, not electric.
May be the original westinghouse electric motor. Sticky RPM dial. It came
out of the Kodak company toolroom in Rochester, NY apparently. But it works
great, I love it, best lathe I've ever used. Looks just about like this:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/monarch/page7.html
except where the electrical speed control is on the left of the headstock, I
have a big round handwheel that turns a hydraulic valve down inside to
adjust the speed. Smooth! Last thing I used it for was to make an electrode
for a plasma etcher at the university I work at, used to make micromachines.
Very satisfying, a tool born in 1937 still gainfully employed making
fixtures used to make devices measured in microns!

Al

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
link.net...

I found my monarch 10EE locally for only $1200. It was a beast to get

home,
and then there was the whole 3-phase thing to deal with but if you've

got

$1200 for a 10EE ?????

Somebody call the sheriff. We've got a crime to report.

I got mine for $4200 and thought I had a deal. The 10EE is simply one of

the
best lathes ever made. Just as accurate as a Hardinge (my other most
favorite), but more versatile. I seen where you can now buy factory
refurbished units for $100,000.

Karl