Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default help, pls, with flush valve

Uncle Vinnie wrote:
Thanks Charles.. I pretty much have done this, however the silicone has left
a very thin skin/layer which I have not been able to scrape off... It's in
an awkward location, but I have used wire brush, and where I can, a razor
blade...

Sand paper was suggested to me.. is there a heavy course that can get wet...
? Should I just keep at it with the putty knife.. ?

snip

No. For surfaces that can tolerate it, methylene chloride-based paint
strippers will attack and soften the cured silicone. One example is
'bodied' KleenStrip. Go to your painting place and read the labels to
find the right product. Apply, let it work and the silicone should peel
off readily. Follow the directions as to safety, etc., etc.
Good luck.

Joe