Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Vaughn Ken Vaughn is offline

Default Bandsaw Jig Aids in Cutting Log Sections

"Woody" wrote in message
Good job on the bandsaw jigs. I've been thinking about how to do
just
those tasks on my 14" Delta. I have the riser in place and some
general use blades but they just didn't work well on logs. I'll try
the PS Wood blade you use. I have a circle cutting jig for my
bandsaw that I've used a few times to round out a bowl blank and I
think it would work pretty good with some fine tuning but I've had
trouble with the blades binding and have actually ruined a couple of
blades with it. The blades tend to follow the grain or whatever and
cut their way out of verticle. When it does work right it makes
roughing out a cylinder pretty quick and easy. Do you have any
experience with anything along those lines? Thanks.

Sorry for the delay in my reply. I haven't checked the newsgroup in a
couple of days -- I've been busy shoveling snow -- maybe you heard
about the storm we had in Denver -- it was only a couple of feet at
the airport where the statistics are recorded, but we had around 3
feet at my house.

I think the PS Wood "wet wood" blade I mention on my website would
solve most of your problems. It is thicker and has a lot of set and
more rake which makes it cut well without binding. I have a circle
jig, but for log sections I use a similar jig made from the hold down
on a thrift store meat carving tray. Here are a couple of photos
showing a conical section being sawn from a Russian Olive tree taken
down at my daughter's place. It was softer than I had hoped with
large growth rings, but it cut easily. It was very wet when I cut it.

http://home.comcast.net/~kvaughn65/c...aped_blank.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~kvaughn65/log_section.jpg

Ken Vaughn
Visit my workshop: http://home.comcast.net/~kvaughn65/