Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Advice on drill press

SBH wrote:
Since becoming more involved with woodworking, I find the need to
upgrade from my table top drill press to a floor model. Upon doing some
minor research, I lack a bit of knowledge as to what main ingredients
do I need to for a decent drill press. Therefore, I am asking for input
on what I should look for...but two specific questions...what is a
minimum HP rating I should get and what is a "swing"?

Also any input on Harbor Freight presses (yes, I know some HF products
are risky while others have made it for years), Delta presses and a
Sunex brand I am curently viewing.

Besides Ed's list...

Quality motor/pulleys
Number speeds, ease of changing, quality of belt tensioner
Depth stop (many cheapies have gauge but not actual stop)
Quill travel
Size/shape of table (for w/w'ing in particular, square and larger are
significant advantages)

Sizes and hp are dependent on what you intend to do of which you give
not even a hint. In general, bigger is better and for w'w'ing I
frankly would really far prefer a variable speed.

Never heard of Sunes so absolutely no clue. Delta and HF don't belong
in same room together as comparison, so don't have a clue what you're
_really_ after. If you're thinking of buying historical Delta quality
at HF price, doesn't work that way. As Ed says, some imports are
pretty decent, but best look at somebody like Grizzly if that's the
game...