Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Cement question

Anthona wrote:
A few years ago I had the front of my home cemented. I told the
workers to leave a 3' x 3' opening for a possible shrub planting.
Since then, every time I tried to plant something in that 'plot', the
plant would die. i suspected a gas leak...but the gas company
disproved that theory. Now, I want to patch up that opening. As of
now, it has a low layer of red mulch on top of the soil that was
originally there. I bought a bag of quickcement, Is there any thing I
should know on how to go about this and trying to match the rest of
the cement? Some neighbor suggested a crossironbar. I think its
called. I've seen that being done whenever I pass a large mason job
on some sidewalks...but others say its not necessary for the little
spot that I have. Suggestions?

Well a good soil test would tell you what the problem with the plants
is. I suspect the soil is too alkali.

If you want to fill it in, the first question is will it be subject to
vehicle traffic? Totally different needs for that.

One bag of concrete mix (not cement) is not going to cover 3x3 foot
unless it is one mighty big bag. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit