Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Basic tool grinding question

Dick
Question: Is a jig necessary for sharpening lathe tools?
Answer: NO
Question: Is it a really, really, really big help, especially for a
beginner?
Answer: O yeah.
The problem is simply that sharp tools make all the difference and is
coupled with no having a lot of built in guides for keeping blades at the
right angles such as a plane would do. thus your body needs to learn how to
apply those angles to the wood. At the same time you need to develop the
skills to sharpen tools that have rounded shapes and varying angles. A jig
will not only provide those angles but will give an easily repeatable result
every time. Some tout them for saving metal but I am not sure how handy that
really is. For most of us who are recreational turners it likely means we
need a new tool every ten years instead of every eight. However, we need a
sharp tool every time we turn and as some wood calls us to sharpen every few
minutes, a jig really makes a difference. If you want a little more advice
or want to make your own, check out my web site under sharp tools in jig
time. You can likely make the jig in the time it takes to get to the store
and back.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"Olebiker" wrote in message
ups.com...
Once in a while even a blind hog roots up an acorn and so did I last
week. I was in Louisville, Ky and found a really good deal on my first
lathe, a Jet mini-lathe.

I have been reading about how you need a jig to assist in grinding
bevels on the turning tools and have just about decided to buy Penn
State's version of the Wolverine jig. I picked up a Richard Raffan
video at the library and noticed that he only uses a tool rest, not a
jig. Is he able to do that simply because he has been doing it a long
time, or is a jig really not necessary?

Dick Durbin
Tallahassee