Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob M. Bob M. is offline

Default Water Heater with Water Off

"Rich" wrote in message
ups.com...
Any ideas on how long it will take a 40 Gal electric water heater to
have a problem with the water supply shut off, pipes drained but water
heater full, and electric still on? Or will it not be a problem at all
if the water heater was not drained? What would be the worst case
consequences?

You're worrying too much. I live in Montana and when I go on vacation (two
weeks long this past Thanksgiving; it got to -10 here then), I just turn the
water main off and set the (gas) water heater control to "pilot". The house
is kept at 55 during that time and in the unlikely event that a pipe does
break, the water is shut off so there won't be much damage.