Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default Questions on professional style kitchen appliances

# Fred # wrote:
What is a good free standing gas range? I'm looking at a professional style
36" or 48" with six high output btu burners with griddle and wok options.
Consumer Reports tested some professional style ranges and the results were
disappointing. Wife was a professional cook and this will be her last range
so I don't mind spending big bux but don't want to be disappointed by
mediocre performance and reliability.

Wolf brand is the only one I know and you see them in many restaurants.

From what I understood the gas oven
now is so precise that an electric oven is not required. Is that true? Seems
like we could save some money and have a little more option by buying pro
style top burner and a double wall oven. Any disadvantage going this route?
I'm remodling the kitchen so wall ovens is not a problem.

Yes, gas ovens have improved just like all things improve. An electric
convection oven is a must for a serious baker however. If you go for
wall ovens you could have one of each which is cool. Gas is well
suited for roasting and ordinary used. A convection oven is required
for some dishes like pastries and such.

Also what advantages of a sub-zero refrigerator has? For the price of a
sub-zero, I could get a real restaurant used walk-in. May go this route if I
have the room.

The only advantage is prestige. Sub-zero used to be a good brand but
now it is all about upscale marketing and brand name recognition. Many
other brands are just as good or better. Look in the yellow pages for
restaurant supply. They will have a selection of new and used
commercial units. A walk-in cooler is pretty upscale for a private
home but, in my mind, is more practical and cost effective that the sub
zero.