Posted to rec.woodworking
redbelly redbelly is offline

Default Loctite for wood screws?

redbelly98 wrote:
If you do go the glue route (which is probably what I would do), ask
yourself if you might ever want to undo the screw for any reason some
day. Epoxies and polyurethane/Gorilla glue would make that job
difficult or impossible; silicone would be a better choice IMO.

wrote:
Mark

Maybe, however I have been using polyurethane to re-bed the SS screws on the
spray hood of my sailboat.
I remove the spray hood every 2 to 3 years and I do not have any problem to
remove the screws.
I also used Gorilla glue to re-bed screws in wood, presswood and plywood
with no problem.

Thanks for the info, that is good to know. Surprising to me, but now I
can keep that in mind in the future.

As long as the Robertson, Phillip or slotted head is clean and the screw
driver has a firm and positive contact with the screw's head it works fine.
Over the years I have learned that it was better to use a old awl to clean
the screw head first
The worst are the Phillip head. A worn out Phillip screw driver is the worst
thing to use especially with a powered driver.
Using Locktite on metal to metal is a different kettle of fish.

Depends on which Loctite product you mean. Besides their superglue,
they do make threadlocker for machine screws where you can still remove
the screw later if you want.

Mark