Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Schuler Charles Schuler is offline

Default help, pls, with flush valve

"Uncle Vinnie" wrote in message
I could use some advice here...

Kohler/ Rialto toilet...

After years of leaking, I finally bought repair kits for this toilet...
(Kohler).. to make a long story short, they redesigned the flush valve
(which was where they notoriously leaked) .. anyway, I have replaced the
flush valve and gasket and no matter what I do, it still leaks -seems the
builder/plumber used silicone when installing the original flush valve.. I
have not been able to completely remove the silicone from the china - so
either I remove it all (help? advice?) or do what Kohler really does not
recommend, put another batch of silicone to seal...(unconventional, but
should I just do it anyway?)

Shut off the water and flush to empty the tank. Remove the valve assembly.
Use a stiff putty knife and remove all of the caulk (both inside and out).
Reinstall the valve and you should be good to go ... if there is not a crack
in the porcelain casting.